Searching for the right wheelchairs for sale can be an exciting endeavor as well as challenging. In an effort to make the process an enjoyable one, this article will highlight some helpful tips in finding the right wheelchair for your needs.
- Type. There are many types of wheelchairs, just as there are many types and styles of bikes. Wheelchairs are no different. There are specific brands, styles, and chair types that one must take into consideration before deciding on which one they will purchase. There are a couple different types of wheelchairs that will help direct you in your selection process.
- Manual chair. This is the most popular type of chair among those who are younger, agile and have good upper body strength. A manual chair is moved by using arms to push the wheels which then carries the chair forward. Due to advancement in technology and research, manual chairs are not as heavy as they used to be and are now made with a lighter frame, making them easy to get in and out of cars.
- Power chair. A person who is unable to push their wheelchair will be better off with a power chair that can assist them in their mobility functions. When selecting this type of chair, you will need to decide if you need one that is more rugged and can be used on roads or in grass. If you get around on your power chair quite often, you may want to consider a rugged type as they are durable and sturdier. One important tip to selecting a power chair is to make sure that you get a battery that is going to be sufficient.
- Age of the person using the chair. The age of the person using the chair is very important as there are many chairs that are made for just children, adults, or the elderly. Each chair that is created for a specific age group will have features and styles that are appealing to the target market. For example, a child’s chair will be smaller with a lighter frame and may be offered in vivid and fun colors.
- Seating. It is important to be careful in selecting the seating of the chair as many who are prone to paralysis suffer from sores from sitting for extended periods of time. It is not uncommon for one to require a special type of seat or cushion so that they can avoid pressure sores.
- Tilting and reclining abilities. This feature will help decrease pressure sores by allowing the person to maneuver their bodies in various ways throughout the day. The recline feature helps a person relax by putting their legs up. A tilting chair can assist in adjusting how one is sitting and in some instances can help them get up.
- Standing chair. Believe it or not, there are such things as a standing chair. This type of chair is best for someone who needs assistance in getting to the standing position. If this is something that could benefit you, be sure to check out the power chair section as there are many that have the standing assistance option available. Be aware that this feature can add a great deal to the price tag.