Owning a home comes with a lot of responsibilities and security is at the top of the list.
Facts: On average, over 2 000 000 robberies are reported in the US yearly. Furthermore, almost 66% of these break-ins are in residential properties. Alarming, right? That’s why it comes as no surprise how taking measures to ensure your home is protected is non-negotiable.
We get it: With the rise in technology and software, all sorts of nifty and sophisticated security devices are constantly being introduced. However, security doors & windows—though a traditional approach—are effective features where safety and security is concerned. They’re basic…but they work.
They act as a direct physical barrier to keep intruders out. Is this what you need?
Factors to Consider
Looking for the right screen for your home might sound pretty basic but that’s not always the case. With endless options at your disposal, the process can be quite daunting as you figure out which screen is right for you.
That’s why we came up with a few pointers to help make your search that much easier. Before investing in these security screens, it’s in your best interests to ask yourself the following questions. This way you get value for your money.
Does it Fit?
Naturally, the first thing to consider is whether they fit your window or door. They’re definitely not a one size fits all phenomenon. To avoid disappointment, make sure you measure the size of the frame before you go shopping. It’s even best to leave the job to the professionals.
What is it Made Of?
It goes without saying: The material used in the construction of the screen is extremely important. Firstly, it greatly influences its sturdiness. After all, the whole point is to get something that’s strong enough to keep the burglars out right?
While you’ll get varying types of material the one made of high-grade stainless steel is the one you want. Here’s why: It’s well known for its tough exterior and resilient properties which guarantee longevity.
This is the kind of investment you only want to make once so it must be built to last. For this reason it’s in your best interests to buy a screen which has the following:
- Corrosion resistant: One that’s coated with abrasion and corrosion resistant additives to preserve the screen is best. This way the life span of the product greatly increases.
- Weatherproof & waterproof: It’s no secret the different weather conditions these screens will have to endure. It ranges from rain to sunlight. Purchasing screens with both weatherproof properties is always a good idea so they don’t prematurely wear out.
- Cleaning process: The material used in the construction of the screen will make the difference between a hassle-free cleaning process or a hectic one. This particularly refers to the design. While some designs seem quite attractive, they are a nightmare to clean. Case in point: Imagine trying to wipe a screen made with grooves? If you can get a strong but smooth screen it would be ideal.
How Thick Are These Screens?
While on construction you have to consider just how thick the bars on the screens are. Naturally the thicker the bars, the better as you’re guaranteed of the following:
- The heaviest or sharpest objects won’t cut through it
- No bashing in your windows. A flimsy screen will just be kicked in easily leaving your home at risk
- Benefits over a long period. Thinner bars will inevitably wear down much quicker than their thicker counterparts.
Safety over Aesthetics?
Sure, the main reason for purchasing these screens is to protect your home right? But that doesn’t mean you must install unsightly screens that will make your home resemble a prison. On the contrary modern screens—whether for doors or windows—now feature stylish designs.
All you need to do is pick one with a color or look that matches your interior. With a little imagination, you’ll be surprised how the right set will instantly transform your space into a classy area.
You don’t have to compromise safety over aesthetics. You can certainly have both.
Will Your Screen Still Allow You to View Outside?
Yes they’re supposed to protect you from any intruders. However, this doesn’t mean you have to feel trapped inside your home.
Simply pick a screen that allows you a clear view of the exterior while still providing you with the necessary protection. A popular favorite which ensures visibility without compromising safety is a mesh screen.
Does Your Screen Allow Enough Ventilation?
Not only is seeing what’s happening on the outside important but it must allow for adequate ventilation. This means you can still open your windows to allow that cool breeze and still remain protected.
Your best bet would be to pick a security screen that allows a high level of airflow. This also ensures those unwanted insects are kept out even with your window wide open.
All the above facts are worth considering so you get the best screen for your home. Make sure you pick the best long term solution.
Of course, your budget also matters, but we advise you rather spend more than being too stingy. By paying a little extra you can get a high-end quality screen with everything you want from modern home features.
You can get style and security: Hopefully, this information helps you to get the right screen so you and your family can enjoy a good night’s rest from now on.